Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Mama Mia

Men, avert your eyes, We are going to talk about glitter, rainbows and unicorns!


Are they gone?  Good.

Have a happy period.  Really?

I would describe my period as anything but happy!  A cruel joke played on us women from mother nature striking at the worst possible moment conceivable.
Until now.

I have to admit, when I first learned about the MiaCup and menstrual cups, heck, mama cloth in general, I repulsed.  I could handle touching poopy diapers, bedsheets at 2 am with kids vomit, litterboxes, science projects in the fridge that blinked at me...  You get the idea.  Ask me to touch my own bodily fluids, EEW, No Way!  Eventually I broke and tried mama cloth.  Wonderful.  I still was not ready for a cup, or natural tampons. I broke, again.


When I was selected to review a MiaCup, I was ecstatic.  When I finally received it (shipping from South America takes just about 2 weeks) I was TERRIFIED!!!  Then I remembered the "learning curve".

I had read review after review that made it seem like I was in for a scene out of Carrie. I decided to go for a test drive, before I actually needed it. I can honestly say I have never, nor would I ever have considered "test driving" a tampon.

Safely locked behind two doors, I pulled out the MiaCup, washed it off and went to work.

Try one. Fail
I removed and rinsed the cup
Try two. Fail
I removed it and rinsed it again.
Read the directions.
Try three. Fail
uhhhg
Removed, rinsed.
FOLLOWED directions, success!!

Now, everybody says you cannot "feel" the cup.  During my test run, I was able to, while it was in place.  Granted, it was not discomfort, it was just a feeling of presence, barely.  I presume it is because I was not actually cycling, and I have a tilted uterus, making my cervix sit a little low.

I left it in place all day long.
That night I washed it and put it away.
I repeated the test drive a few more times before I actually needed the cup.  I felt ready for it.

(I found it was easier to insert the cup sitting on the toilet.  Squatting on the floor was a little difficult to me.)

Ready
Set
ACTION!
Day one, I could not keep my mind off checking the cup, I checked it about 5 hours into the day.  It was working, no leaks.  I was happy.
Day two, My cycle went SUPER HEAVY.  I did have to empty the cup every couple hours, as it was full.  However, there was no leaking before it was full.  (it will seep over when full) This continued into day 2, and part of the day into day three.
Day three, I still had to empty every 3-4 hours, but the cup was still holding up, I was cleaner than I ever had been using tampons, and still no leaking.
Day 5-8 I was able to go the entire 12 hours without any seeping, leaking, or having to empty the cup.
I was unable to feel the cup during my actual cycle, until it got overfilled.  Then I could feel it a bit.  Again, nothing uncomfortable, just a presence.  Tampons, I can't stand.

A couple disclaimers, I drowned myself in coffee on day 2, to give the ultimate test to the cup, yeah hindsight is 20/20, but had I been wearing tampons, I think I would have gone through an entire box of them in those 2 days.
My cycle is typically heavy and I end up having to do at least 2-3 "leaked" loads of laundry.  This time, none. Since the washer was free, I was able to wash my curtains.
Now, about that hands on issue.  At no point did it even bother me, in fact, I was actually surprised at how much cleaner it was to use the cup.  I had the benefit of being right next to my bathroom sink in my *ahem* cozy bathroom so I was able to dump the contents in the toilet, and rinse the cup in the sink.  By the time I got the cup back in place, there was barely anything on my hands, even with the "one full rotation" to make sure it went properly into place.
I had one mishap with the cup.  It dropped into the toilet when I was about to reinsert as my 3 year old son came banging on the door to come in.  A quick wash with antibacterial hand soap and I was good to go again.

The MiaCup, saved me at least 1 time in my cycle.  I know all of us have done this, the quick run out, I'll be back before I need to change the diaper, change pads, change whatever.  This time, my van broke down leaving me stuck at a storage unit of all places, with a cranky baby.  IF i had been using tampons, it would have been an utter mess.  With the MiaCup, all I had to do was empty, rinse, and I was good.  If only everything in life was that simple :)



So, of all the cups out there why MiaCup?
1. Free Shipping.  I love the word FREE, even more, I love it when combined with the word shipping
2. 6 Month no questions asked return policy. They understand there is a learning curve.  Very few women are unable to wear a cup, some women take a cycle or two to grasp the learning curve.  MiaCup wants you to succeed and love your cup!
3. Each purchase MiaCup donates to Food and Trees for Africa, and provides an opportunity for clients to donate additional funds.
4. 100% hypoallergenic.  Made of medial grade silicone.

You can buy one HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment